Actually, Cheney looked kind of nervous and sat there wringing his hands.  This was also mentioned this morning on a few news programs.  I think Cheney came across as someone trying to hide something (he even skipped a few opportunities to respond) and Edwards came across as knowledgeable and confident.

Howie
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin Graeme
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:46 PM
  Subject: Re: John Edwards in a terrible hair dryer accident!

  Machete or axe, he chopped John (Freddy) Edwards.

  In all seriousness, Edwards put in a good showing and would have been
  fine up against Bush. But Cheney has so much presence that nobody even
  bothers to listen to what he's actually saying. He just exudes
  thoughtful, paternal care.

  That's not to say that I agree with his views on everything. But his
  demeanor is so relaxed that it's hard not to be lulled into a sense of
  confidence when listening to him.

  -Kevin