At 10:27 10/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>If you live in, grew up in, or have since moved too, New York, then you
>are forgiven for being a Yankees fan. Its simply sports law that you
>should root for your home town team, even if they are the embodiment of Evil.
>
>But i absolutely cannot condone Yankees fans with no ties to New York.
>
>A refresher on the Sports Guy's 20 rules for the True Fan is in order
>(especially the Loyalties section):
>
>http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020227.html

Don't forget NJ.  We root for the Yankees too.  Although when I do add up
my hours, I spend more time on the NY side of the Hudson.  But I do agree
with you.  Which is why I think it is a little funny to take too much pride
in a team you root for.  I didn't make a decision to root for the
Yankees.  It was already decided for me.  But what if one grew up in Boston
and hated Boston because all his/her memories were  bad.  Could one root
for the Yankees because they are in essence rooting against Boston?

PS Has anyone ever meet a person that rooted for the Yankees and Red
Sox?  I would argue they don't exist but it is possible.  Again if anyone
said that to me I would believe that the person is really neither a Yankee
fan or a Red Sox fan.