From: Gruss Gott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:16 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Polls

> Russel wrote:
> The military wants to keep an all volunteer force.

I'm not debating what the military wants in a perfect world.  The fact
is, currently there are no plans to add more troops.  If another war
were to pop up, we would have to institute a draft to cover the troop
shortage.

Even if in January the new President starting building up troop
levels, if we needed to invade Iran or North Korea, we'd need a draft.

I don't think you can say we won't have a draft just because the
military doesn't want it - the military doesn't control events on the
ground and those events determine our troop needs.

If you extrapolate Mr. Bush's predilections for war and his lack
global support, the probability that Mr. Bush would require a draft is
higher than the probability that Mr. Kerry would.

Therefore, a college student would be within reason for a single issue
vote for Mr. Kerry.