Very eloquent.

But there's a fundamental contradiction in the current political
climate. For example, I received an email from a homeschooling group
endorsing George Bush because, they said, he was the more likely of
the two candidates to leave homeschooling alone

I am all in favor of government leaving me the hell alone. Really. But
how does that parse with requiring schools to teach children to take
tests rather than to reason? How do you reconcile that with regulating
contraception or worse still access to scientific information?

I don't think this is conservatism.

Dana