I gave birth during that period when they were discharging new mothers
within 24 hours due to insurance pressures. I think they have stopped
doing that since then. They did send a nurse over a couple of times,
to everyone who was early discharged I think, not me especially. I
rather disliked the idea since I got this idea from my mother that
nice women always have clean homes, and if anything tidying up for her
visit was an additional stress. I'd hypothesize that a longer hospital
stay might allow for some screening. On the other hand, come ot think
of it, I may not have had PPD but just situational depression...

To answer the actual question, there is no doubt in my mind that such
women are ill. Ideally this woman would have had a relative locally
who could have stepped in and helped, fulltime if need be. This was a
strength of multigenerational families; they took such problems in
stride.
Failing that, better that baby had been traumatized than dead. Yanno?

Unfortunately, given the horrific nature of the crime that has now
occurred (and in Texas.. again) I have no doubt that this woman will
be sentenced to life in prison, where she may or may not get
treatment.

Dana