Burn in is a problem with plasma too.

Something else to consider is tv signal tech. In the US we've
currently got 5 major types:

- Analog (NTSC) over the air (OTA)
- Analog cable
- Digital over the air (ATSC)
- Digital cable (QAM)
- Satellite (DVB)

Any TV on the market currently can handle analog OTA and analog cable
without an external tuner.

The term "HDTV" means a lot, but in sales marketing typically only
refers to ATSC broadcasts which are over the air, particularly when
they say the HDTV tuner is built-in. If it's HDTV-ready then it uses
an external tuner box, even for local stations broadcasting digital
(ATSC), and the HD mostly just refers to the higher resolution
capability.

Digital cable typically uses an external tuner box as well, but newer
TVs are starting to include a QAM tuner as well. For the pay digital
channels, like HBO, the QAM tuner TVs should have a card slot in the
TV and you have to get a digital cable card from your cable company.
They are supposedly required to provide one at no additional charge,
but most sales reps at my cable company don't even know what QAM is.

Satellite uses an external box to decode the signal.

-Kevin