You don't have to use DW templates, and Contribute understands
includes in much the same way as DW does so it's still possible to use
includes for the site design. We actually mix both, using Templates to
just lock down what areas are editable and use includes for bringing
in the header, nav, footer, etc.

One of the huge gotchas though is that Contribute expects to see the
html, head, body tags in the actual page you're editing. So if, like
us, you typically shove those into an include or custom tag then you
could have some problems. We've had to shift to having leaner include
files that just have the layout component we're actually trying to
include instead of including the page's meta structure.

One of the nice things though about using includes without templates
is that Contribute can't edit the contents of the include on the page
anyway.

-Kevin