> Have you looked at Skype - http://www.skype.com/

A quick glance seems to suggest that one must buy credits in order to
talk to regular "old-fashioned" numbers. Seeing that most of our phone
calls would be to local folks, this seems a bit of an odd solution to
me (admittedly at first glance). the service is free but you have to
pay cut-rate international long distance rates to call your next door
neighbor in the States...

Also, maybe I'm missing it, but how do local (Everett, WA, USA)
telephone exchange users call me? There seems to be no answer at the
site, am I missing it? Also, what about emergency services? They're
part of the package with Verizon, but I see no mention with Skype.

will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher