Actually a co-worker and I were discussing this exact subject over the
weekend (based on the same person's posts).

It's certainly not an indictment of the person...whether or not he's
fun to hang with IRL, etc...but the fact is that all most of us will
ever really know of each other comes from the lists.  First
impressions being what they are, etc etc.  If it came down to it, I'd
certainly be more apt to listen to a post made by someone who was able
to clearly and professionally articulate their points over someone who
writes like he's sending an I.M.