Splinter Cell is an almost entirely 3rd-person stealth platformer.  It's
a great, great franchise, but not in the same genre as Halo 2.  If you
want an equivalent experience to Halo 2, you might try a small plate of
warm quiche, or perhaps some decaffinated coffee...

Oh, wait - sorry, you meant a /game/ :)

Seriously though, a decent FPS for the PS2 can be found in the "Red
Faction" series, which is pretty fun and kind of a dark horse, in my
opinion.  It also has the added benefit of a totally destructible
environment.  Can't find the key to that door?  Set some explosives on
the wall and go in that way!

There was a big marketing push for "Killzone" as a "Halo Killer" for the
PS2, but I was on one of the beta teams, and wasn't impressed with it
very much.  It's no slouch in the graphics department, but the controls
felt too muddy, and you need some level of reasonable precision (even
with console thumbsticks) in a crazed first-person bloodbath.

And, if you're not set on frenetic FPS action, definitely do yourself a
favor and pick up the Splinter Cell series.  You can spend $50 and get
them both at this point (Pandora Tomorrow has been marked down, since
Splinter Cell 3 "Chaos Theory" is out in March).  In a fit of geeky
boredom once, I rented all three versions of Splinter Cell (Cube, Xbox,
PS2) and basically played all three of them at once, cycling through
with my system selector.  Yes, the graphical quality for the PS2 version
was not as advanced as the graphics on the Xbox or the Cube (which I
think gets a bum rap in the graphics department), but they were still
very impressive.

- Jim