> IP Range and IPStartRange will be something like X.X.X.X I gather?

No, the IP addresses are converted into dotless form and essentially, a
bigint is required in SQL Server and decimal(20,0) is used in MySQL.
Indexing integer based datatypes is as good as it gets for this process I
believe... This point was implied in the table design that I posted.

> If you add an INT PK to the table and make that a clustered index you will
have far better performance - without question.

Only if the query actually referenced it but in the case I have stated
adding a column like that is irrelevant and takes up space in the DB that
can be used for other things...

> Note that DB design and methodologies are independent of the RDMS

Yes, I know this. I used SQL Server as a comparative example. Given that
MySQL is meant to be of a reasonably high performance, I would have expected
it to be closer to SQL Server than I have found in this instance.

> performance however, isn't if mySQL is slow then it's down to mySQL and
its
> implementation of SELECT logic internally etc...

I agree, hence the questions regarding how would you optimise this for
MySQL.

Paul