I could be wrong (morning caffeine hasn't kicked in) but IIRC, you can't
set a length on TEXT.  You can only set a length on varchar, nvarchar,
char, etc.  If you try to set a length on a TEXT field, it tries to
revert it to a varchar(?), which is limited.

That said, you can always programatically truncate things before you
update/insert.

--Ben