I think the crowd reaction is understandable. Analog TV is still
outselling DTV 4 to 5, and that's _all_ DTV not just HD. Barely more
than 1% of households have OTA DTV tuners. And that's for the consumer
end. Apple's products are production side which is an even smaller
market.

I think Apple had to support HD because the industry expects it. Even
if nobody is using it. Better to offer support that basically is just
enabling higher resolutions than to give detractors something to
attack them on.

-Kevin