FWIW, I was curious as well.  Like Tony said, 'partner' does (to me,
at least) have connotations of same-sex partnerships.  Altho I've
noticed a few people on the list who use it to mean husband/wife (in
heterosexual relationships).

I didn't mean any offense in my curiousity as to your (or anybody
else's) use of the term, and I'm pretty sure Michael didn't either (he
only asked what I wondering).

Most of my family and friends refer to their significant others as
boyfriend/girlfriend/hustband/wife.  So I think it's only somewhat
natural to be curious when one encounters a situation that's
different.

Doesn't mean anybody was judging or attacking or worrying about your
use of the term.  Was nothing more than curiousity plain and simple.