From: Larry C. Lyons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 9:39 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: I have to change my system name

Lewis and Tolkien used to get drunk together at the same Oxford pub.

larry

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:55:35 -0700, Dana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ::nod:: Lewis is actually a fairly well-known Christian writer, but I
> didn't know he and Tolkoen were friends.
>
> Judith, the same could be said for Harry Potter don't you think? If
> anything it is less dark since the hero is not corrupted. But some
> "Christians" say it promotes flying on a broomstick, all that
> witchcraft stuff.....
>
> Dana
>
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:48:51 -0400, Yves Arsenault
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > He (Tolkien) and C.S. Lewis were supposedly great friends....
> >
> > Lewis wrote the Narnia collection (for kids)...
> >
> > And various christian/english/sci-fi books....
> >
> > A couple of my favorite writers.... there was another well known
> > author who was in their circle of friends at the time... can't
> > remember who..
> >
> > Just sending my 2 cents.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Yves

Potter -

> > > I think the weirdest part of that is what a devout Christian
Tolkien was (I just read a great biography about him.) And LOTR's
supreme lesson, I always thought, was that relatively powerless people
can overcome great evil. His works are a study in what evil can do to
people -- for instance, the effects of the ring on Bilbo and Frodo over
time and the taming of the Shire at the end of the Return of the King.
He used fantasy and storytelling to convey his message, but it's there
in everything he wrote. Tolkien was anything but a promoter of evil.