OK, I have the test scores for one of my local schools handy:

Based on the four percentages listed for each school year, the State
of New Mexico has given this school the following ratings:

School Year 99-00
PROBATIONARY

Exemplary  5.13 %
Exceeds  10.26 %
Meets  17.95 %
Probationary  66.67 %

School Year 00-01
PROBATIONARY

Exemplary  13.65 %
Exceeds  19.5 %
Meets  16.58 %
Probationary  50.27 %

School Year 01-02
PROBATIONARY

Exemplary  10.02 %
Exceeds  9.31 %
Meets  12.26 %
Probationary  68.4 %

School Year 02-03
PROBATIONARY

Exemplary  3.42 %
Exceeds  3.87 %
Meets  16.27 %
Probationary  76.44 %

School Year 03-04   This school HAS NOT MET Adequate Yearly Progress

My point is that three out of four children at this school are not
passing a test even when the bar is set rather low. So three out of
four of those children could use a little help, regardless of their
race. But the time to do it is BEFORE college or we well all be dumbed
down to death.

Dana