One last thing on this: Global Warming is one of the few things that we can
actually, to at least some extent, control.  Not to be pessimistic, but even
if we do control ourselves (and the likelihood of that is getting slimmer
and slimmer) our current society's existence is beset.

The human effect of Global Warming could be dwarfed, for example, by a super
volcano (Yellowstone National Park is one such site that's actually over
due: an eruption there could wipe out the entire state and could blanket the
rest of the hemisphere with enough ash to cause an ice age).

A sizable asteroid impact could do the same.  Both events could trigger
massive seismic events that makes the recent tsunami seem positively
miniature.  Mass volcanism could also cause a marked decline in atmospheric
oxygen making all but the lowest lying regions habitable (this is a current
theory for the mass "super extinction" of 250 million years ago).

A star going super-nova within a few million light-years would sterilize the
planet with cosmic rays.  For that matter our own sun might enter a flare
state and do the same thing.

Even with our modern medical knowledge a tricky disease could fairly easily
wipe out large segments of the population.  Our modern travel systems make
it all the more likely that such an event would cross oceans and borders
before it could be contained.

In short if our culture survives it will be only by the skin of our teeth.
It would be a shame to dodge the cosmic odds and survive all those things
that we can't control only to screw ourselves over because we weren't
willing to take preventative steps with those things we could control.

Personally I think that the case for human-influenced climate change is
strong, nearly indisputable.  However the exact effects of this are still at
question.  But the simple fact that our species has an effect on the
environment shouldn't be at question.

It's up to us to consider that effect and, if at all possible, ensure that
it's a positive one.

Jim Davis