Hm.... Well, actually, she was always a bear of a human being. She
never (at least in her adult life) had many friends. She was always
extremely judgemental and difficult to be around. She was always
paranoid - people were stealing her husband, we were conspiring
against her, blah blah blah. I think she probably had some undiagnosed
mental issues all her life. That all magnified as she got sicker. She
used to call my parents and leave really vile messages for "that slut"
(my mom). We've often wondered at the irony that of all the
grandparents, she was the least loved and the one that's lasted the
longest. I don't mean to be crass, but the reality is that some people
just aren't all that likable. My mom and dad have done a good job of
being respectful to her and of doing their best to take care of
someone that's never made it easy. In some ways, the further dementia
was a blessing. She seemed to get past the really mean part and mostly
was just funny  - like looking at the world through a 3 year old's
eyes - full of wonder again. She's been happier than she ever was, in
her state of confusion. I still don't consider it a quality life. The
phone scares her, she's still super paranoid. She "hid" her dentures
long ago and we've never replaced them, because she'd just hide them
again. She's incontinent and abusive (physically) to the staff if they
try to help her. I'm amazed that a little 92 lb woman can be so ornery
when she wants to be. She's bruised several of the employees.

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to see if all the folks
with really strong convictions about end of life issues would feel the
same when it was someone "real."