::shrug::  This is a fine example of MITT, more Indian than thou, one
of the themes of Native American politics. The membership rules of the
Cherokee nation are a sore point for many Native Americans - you only
have to prove that you are descended from some ancestor, however
distant, who was considered to be Cherokee by the tribe or by the
federal government. Thus you get blond Cherokees who haven't the
slightest clue about the culture.  I understand the concern but it is
not up to me to have an opinion about such people.

I am unaware of honorary memberships in the Cherokee Nation, but would
not be particularly surprised. I have not enquired into the man's
ancestry nor did it occur to me not to take his word for it. It would
not particularly surprise me either however if the AIM release were
some such disagreement about what is a Native American, ie is one
parent or one Native American grandparent enough. I can assure you
though that he was involved in the takeover of Alcatraz, a seminal
event in Native American modern history, and is a respected if not
particularly well-liked political thinker in the field of Native
American Studies. I am really not particularly interested in whether
the Minneapolis branch of AIM considers the Denver branch of AIM to be
a legitimate branch of Indian leadership. Really, at this point my
eyes glaze over :)

By the way, I find it interesting that these people didn't repudiate
this essay when it first was published in 2001. Where have they been,
waiting for a headline they could ride?

Dana

Dana