Our current home page has the effect I am looking for in the second question.
http://www.sierraoutdoorrecreation.com/  It is using tables which as you say,
make this much easier.

Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
- Cynthia Dunning