My problem with this is that while true it seems to single out Comcast for
not solving a problem faced by all other ISPs as well.  Comcast is the
largest broadband provider and thus has the most problems of this kind, but
I've not seem anything that shows that they have more problems, per user,
than other broadband providers.

Comcast offers a free year of McAfee Firewall Plus
(http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/affiliates/Comcast/landingpages/default.asp?affi
d=108-01&cid=7235) and big discounts on anti-virus.  They target computers
sending too much mail and suspend the accounts.

They encourage customers to surf safely and stay up to date.  The service
center has security first and foremost and contains up-to-date information
about current scams and patches.

Comcast could do more, of course, but this still strikes me as an industry
issue, not the issue of one company.  It's also a cost issue: most estimates
are, for example that permanently blocking all port 25 traffic would cost
something like $55 million in support costs.  It's also clear that such a
measure would be only temporarily effective - should they spend that every
few months to reconfigure end users?

Spammers get smart and work around limitations.  Blocking port 25 on
machines that were sending mass mail worked well... then spammers configured
the machines to send fewer and fewer mails over longer periods.  The newer
zombies use the ISPs own mail servers rather than there own masking their
activities even more.

So, what should Comcast do that they're not doing?

Jim Davis