As Will pointed out, the earth goes through warming and cooling cycles. We're
in a cool cycle now, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent the
warming cycle. We can try to limit our contribution to the cycle, and maybe
that's a laudable goal, but to believe that we can have any significant effect
on the planet's historic pattern of warming and cooling is the height of
arrogance. We are specks of dust in the universe. We could "destroy" the entire
planet via global warming, nuclear war, or whatever, and in a few million years
the planet would recover.