> Ian wrote:
> This I have always wondered about the US legal system?

We need to operate more like Europe does: if you file a personal
injury lawsuit and lose you're liable for all costs incurred by the
court and the other side.

Example: A friend used to live in Amsterdam and the entrance to his
flat was treacherous in my opinion: all of the row houses on this
street had a wide sidewalk running in front of them, but this building
had a downstairs apt - so the sidewalk in front of it had been cut
almost in half and stairs were installed.  (this was legal I guess)

The result was that if you were walking in front of building, and not
watching, you'd fall down the stairs and land in a clump at his door.
I almost did this numerous times.

Well, someone had fallen and sued the landlord.  The judge dismissed
the lawsuit by saying the pedestrian should have been watching where
he was going.  It cost the pedestrian around $8000.