Exactly - which is why a death penalty meted out nearly exclusively for
murder isn't a deterrent.

> > All I was saying is that it's not a deterrent.
>
> Your proposed system is set up for abuse from the outset. It is not a
> formula for deterrence, it is a forumla for systematic oppression.

It's not a proposed "system" - it's an observation.  Believe me - if I
propose a system the only whims that will be honored would be mine.  ;^)

When punishment is fierce and common people get more careful.  Of course in
many cases it also results in more dramatic (although fewer) outbreaks -
studies of highly controlled schools and such bear this out.

I'm not, in any way, saying I'd want to live like that or that anybody
should.  What I am saying is that the current death penalty is often propped
up as such a deterring influence and it just isn't.

In fact most studies also show that the extra legal time and resources
needed for the American death penalty also eliminate any cost savings - in
the end it costs about as much (or more) to keep a criminal in prison for
life as it does to carry out the death penalty in the USA.

Jim Davis