Beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, peas, potatoes, rhubarb and turnips
will grow in light shade but not produce as large a crop as plants growing in
full sun.

"Gardening in the Shade"
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06911.htm

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lab/msg0207543110833.html

Tire Gardening: Plant them the same way as a raised bed but plant your potatoes
4 to 6 weeks before your last frost date. In zone 9, this would be Feb/March.
Zone 6 this would be about Mid-March. Later season growers and Zone 10 & up:
Plant potatoes in semi-shade.

http://groups.msn.com/AbleFarmandGardening/pinpot.msnw

>From my experience:
Good drainage is more important than direct sun.
Dont let the potatoes or shoots be exposed to sun for too long (this will
result in them turning the potatoes green).

As for decorating the tires so they aren't an eyesore, maybe some WonderWoman
brand invisible paint?

Jerry Johnson
Web Developer
Dolan Media Company

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/03/05 01:29PM >>>
Do potatoes have to have full sunlight in order to grow?
Meaning - before one of oyu smart-alecs answer :P - do the tires have to
be in the full sun ... Or would a shaded area also work? I know they are
buried in the soil, but I didn't know if had to get really hot ... I
know the tires really keep the soil warm.

I ask because we have more shaded areas of our yard than sunny ... So
the sunny spots are getting a lot of the veggies, which doesn't leave a
whole lot of room for potatoes. Esthetics also means I'd prefer to put
the tires more towards the back than anywhere near the front. We have a
home owner's association to worry about.