"Because it is evident that any recount seeking to meet the December
12 date will be unconstitutional for the reasons we have discussed, we
reverse the judgment of the Supreme Court of Florida ordering a
recount to proceed.  Seven Justices of the Court agree that there are
constitutional problems with the recount ordered by the Florida
Supreme Court that demand a remedy.  ....  The only disagreement is as
to the remedy.

"Because the Florida Supreme Court has said that the Florida
Legislature intended to obtain the safe-harbor benefits of 3 U. S. C.
5, Justice Breyer's proposed remedy remanding to the Florida Supreme
Court for its ordering of a constitutionally proper contest until
December 18 — contemplates action in violation of the Florida election
code, and hence could not be part of an 'appropriate' order ....

"None are more conscious of the vital limits on judicial authority
than are the members of this Court, and none stand more in admiration
of the Constitution's design to leave the selection of the President
to the people, through their legislatures, and to the political
sphere.