For these I used a software product called "Stop Motion Pro".  It's pretty
good (although the interface was really flakey).  The trail version (which I
used) puts that red bar across the movie.

The main problem is that this software costs $250 for a license - and
honestly it just doesn't seem worth it (it's a little buggy and the feature
set is very good, but not I'm not sure it's $250 good).

I've since found another, free, piece of software here:

http://www.animateclay.com/capture.htm

It's not as feature rich as the other one, but it does everything you need
for the kind of movies we made.

The more expensive software also does sound synching (using a wave form
display) and guides (lines or arcs displayed on screen to help with
positioning).  It also does "frame averaging" (it takes several frames then
combines them into one to eliminate some of the odd lighting and shadow
problems you might see).

Both packages do basic frame grabs from any compatible source (we used a
firewire webcam) and onion skinning.

You use a package like the above to capture the frames and export a movie
(and uncompressed AVI file in our case).

Then we imported that movie into Windows Movie Maker (included in XP) to add
titles, credits, and transitions.

We're hoping to do more movies, perhaps with sound, soon.

Jim Davis