You might also want to check your monitor refresh rate settings.  LCDs
refresh less frequently than CRTs in general but often Windows defaults to
the lowest rate (which is more power friendly).  For example mine defaults
to 60 Hertz but the monitor can do either 60 or 75.  Setting it to 75 makes
for a subtle, but noticeable difference in quality.

> The Cleartype tuner is here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm

Yup - ClearType is insanely great.  ;^)

After you use it for a while switch back: you'll be amazed at how bad text
looks.

Usability studies have shown that people read, on average, nearly 20% faster
from screens with ClearType enabled than from the same screens with no
ClearType - I find that staggering.

Jim Davis