Well, let's see. Here he says he interprets CAT scans for a living:

(snip)

So What Have You Seen?

I've watched a steady stream of neurologists, bioethicists, and
neurologist/bioethicists from Columbia, Cornell, and NYU interviewed
all week on Fox and CNN and MSNBC. They all said about the same thing,
that Terri's CT scan was "the worst they'd ever seen"or "as bad as
they've ever seen."

Here's the problem with these experts: THEY DON'T INTERPRET CT SCANS
OF THE BRAIN. RADIOLOGISTS DO.

*Oh*

You see, a neurologist will look at the CT of the brain of one of his
patients, but this is entirely different from interpreting CT's of the
brain de novo, for a living, every day, without knowing the diagnosis
and most times without a good history. In addition, whereas I heard
Dr. Crandon say he's "seen" a thousand brain CT's... well I've
interpreted over 10,000 brain CT's. There's a big difference.

When I look at a CT of the brain every case is a new mystery about a
patient Idon't know. I must look at the images, come to a conclusion,
dictate my findings and report a conclusion. This becomes a part of
the official legal record for which I am liable. I bill Medicare for a
CT interpretation and am paid for this service.

Neurologists do not do this. They don't go on the record, alone, in
written legal documents stating their impressions about CT's of the
brain. The neurologist doesn't get sued for making a mistake on an
opinion of a CT of the brain THE RADIOLOGIST DOES.

A neurologist has no where near this type of practical experience. And
their cases are skewed according to where they practice and what their
specialty is. Now, some of my best friends and some of the smartest
docs I eve4r met are neurologists, but that doesn't change my
observation that most neurologists I've met, in my experience, show an
incomplete grasp of the nuances involved in image interpretation.

I have seen several neurologists -- in the printed media and on
television -- put up a Representative CT of the brain of a normal 25
year old female and contrast this with Terri Schiavo's CT. This is a
totally spurious comparison. No one is disputing that Terri Schiavo
does not have the CT of a 25 year old female.

What I'm saying is that Terri Schiavo's CT could be the brain of an
eighty or ninety year old person who is not in a vegetative state.
THOSE are the CT scans we should be showing next to Schiavo's, because
in THAT case you would see similar atrophy and a brain much closer to
Schiavo's.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

To prove my point I am offering $100,000 on a $25,000 wager for ANY
neurologist (and $125,000 for any neurologist/bioethicist) involved in
Terri Schiavo's case--including all the neurologists reviewed on
television and in the newspapers who can accurately single out PVS
patients from functioning patients with better than 60% accuracy on CT
scans.

I will provide 100 single cuts from 100 different patient's brain
CT's. All the neurologist has to do is say which ones represent
patients with PVS and which do not.

If the neurologist can be right 6 out of 10 times he wins the $100,000.

I Said What I Meant, And I Meant What I Said

My points are what I first said about the image from Terri Schiavo's CT scan:

1) It is NOT as bad as the neurologists and bioethicists play it up to be; and,

2) There are many elderly patients with various levels of mental
functioning who have severe atrophy that is difficult to distinguish
from Terri Schiavo's atrophy

I stand by what I said. And I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Posted by Doctor CBB on March 29, 2005 at 11:35 PM |