As a guess (and only that), I would say that they'll charge a subscription
to the service for downloading old games.  Something like $10-$20 per month
perhaps.

This might also get you access to the DS wireless network that they've
announced.

To me the real "revolution" would have been putting a GameBoy cartridge port
right on the revolution.  I would have much rather had that that some of the
other features.

I hope they still come out with a adapter - but they really should have
taken the opportunity to consolidate their lines - the Gameboy cartridge
format has been around for 10 years and shows no signs of going away - why
not add direct support for it on the console!

They might have then sold "blank" cartridges for say $25.  You could then
place a game (or collection of games) downloaded from the Revolution service
on it to play on your Gameboy or DS.  Much of the NES and SNES libraries
have made it to GameBoy but not nearly all - but it's clear any game from
them could be played on those systems.

When you get bored with a game you wipe the blank and grab something else.
Essentially an infinite games cartridge. (In addition the investment in
physical hardware will bolster the continuation of the online subscription
fees).

They could also distribute new games like this.  Once you buy the blank and
the game you've a license to play it whenever you want, but you need a
blank.

The blanks could easily have DRM on board preventing copying (although why
prevent copying if everybody that wants a copy needs to buy a blank anyway?)

Jim Davis