Dana wrote:
> yes.

I define euthanasia as the active termination of the live of a patient by
medical personnel on the explicit request of the patient. If it is not active,
it might be derilection of duty or whatever, but not euthanasia. If it is not
on the request of the patient, it is not euthanasia but murder.

> However, I don't think this argument should apply when a patient
> specifically says that he wishes to be kept alive by any means
> necessary. In other words, the patients opinion as to his own best
> interests should trump his physician's, even if he turns out to be
> wrong.

It is the classic confrontation where exercising the personal freedom of the
patient requires violating the personal freedom of the doctor. And as always, I
feel that the burden of proof should lie with the party that wants to trump the
personal freedom of the other party. And from what I have read about it, I
don't see that the patient has explored all the options of exercising his
personal freedom *without* violating the personal freedom of the doctor.

Jochem