So, my PlayStation Monthly this month came with a 16 page over-cover
declaring of the Xbox 360 "Your Next Console is HERE!"  It doesn't actually
seem to be an advertising section.

Anyway there's a lot of information in there:

+) I was under the impression that (like the PS3 and Revolution, reportedly)
WiFi would be standard.  Apparently not as a USB WiFi adapter is listed as
an optional accessory.

+) They also had a picture of a Camera (listed as a "prototype model").
Perhaps we'll have some eye toy competition...?

+) Considering that I've just mentioned two "always on" components it's very
disappointing that there's only one USB port on the rear of the unit
(although there are two up front behind the little door).

+) They've pretty much locked that it will ship with a 20 Gig hard drive -
but they also claim that a 40 Gig upgrade will be available shortly after
launch.  No word on whether you can put your own 2.5" drive in the unit or
whether you're locked in theirs.

+) The drive is designed to be easily detachable such that you could carry
it around and take it to a friends house for example.

+) Memory cards will be proprietary and 64 Meg.  It doesn't look they're
compatible with the current Xbox, but it's hard to tell.

+) I thought the little dark spot on the front was an Xbox controller port -
no dice, it's an IR window.  It doesn't look like the unit will have an Xbox
controller port at all (although I'm sure a USB adapter is possible).

+) "Shoulder buttons" are soooooo SNES.  The 360's upper back buttons are
called "bumpers" and the lower ones are called "triggers".

+) The controller features a headset jack (yay!) and what they called a
"mystery" port (essentially an extra hole in case somebody designs something
to put in it).

+) The controller can be charged while playing (via a "charge-in-play"
cable) so you don't have to stop playing to juice up.

+) The Xbox Guide button (the big green "X" button) on the controller is
really interesting.  It can light up each quadrant separately (to, for
example, denote which chunk of the screen is yours in multi-player).  The
lights on the button will also change to indicate instant messages and other
things.  Lastly the guide button can turn your console on and off (so
consoles are finally catching up to TVs in that regard).

+) The unit won't come with a regular remote but if you get it will have
controls for Windows Media Connect, TIVO-like functions and he ability to
"type" (as you would on a cell phone).

+) Damn - they do mention changing faceplates a lot don't they?  Now they're
saying that a face plate can also be equipped with a "built in" memory card
which can store a new interface for the home software (like Windows Themes).

+) If you plug in an MP3 player, digital camera or thumb drive into one of
the USB ports you can explore the media available (see pictures on the TV,
play the music, etc).

+) They mention an interesting "spectator mode" (it's not clear if this is
implemented or possible).  The idea is that you could join multi-player
games as "fans" who could show recognition for players by "clapping" or
"booing" and that this would have some effect on gameplay.  Somehow.

Lastly, which is SO VERY FREAKIN' COOL, they've gotten Jeff Minter to create
music visualization software for the 360.  You can see the music as it plays
using the "Neon Lightsynth" system.

Minter was doing music visualization decades ago long before WinAmp made it
"cool".  He built the visual music machine for the woefully
under-appreciated Atari Jaguar CD-ROM add-in.

Minter also designed the stunning "Tempest 2000" and "Defender 2000" for
Jaguar.

The booklet got his website wrong (it's actually
http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/) but the fact that he's involved, however
loosely, makes me feel good.  ;^)

Jim Davis