> Nick wrote:
> There are often rules about where you swim, surf, ski, rock climb, bicycle
> to offer as much protection to the people as possible.

Good points but,

1.) That's only for public facilities and the rules are local unless
it's a federal public property, and

2.) If I were to own a lake or mountain, I can do whatever I want and
I don't have to worry about any gov't interference.

I maintain that the only in-between is to have local gov't make local
laws.  This is why we have the state gov't system: some states might
make BASE jumping legal, others might not.  Let the local populations
decide not the feds!

For example, if I wanted to open up a local hill for skiing who should
decided what rules would govern my business?  The feds or my local
peers?