You can use Vegitable oil in Diesel engines with a small modification,
there are some people not far from where I live that get the old oil
from their local fish and chip shop and use it in their mercedes
(after it's been filtered). Runs very well apparently, but the car
leaves a smell fish & chips wherever it goes :)