Well, the regular sized ones are quite inexpensive these days but we haven't
bothered to get one yet (mike has a billion vhs tapes) but after my last
trip (devcon - 11 hours flying time, plus god knows how much time in
airports) I decided that I would look into the portable one.  He also likes
to drive and I hate to sit, so I figure he can drive and  i can watch
movies.   I think I might wait till after xmas and see what kind of prices I
can get, but the portables have gone way down - the nice toshiba is only 899
on amazon and I can get a 7" sharp or panasonic for 600$.