The author of Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, etc. has a great op-ed piece
on Star Wars as a reflection of our culture, and how normal people
depend on the geeks (the Jedi) to sustain their way of life, but just
like with the Jedi, the normal people don't necessarily like us all
that much. here's an excerpt:<br />
&quot;Concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts,&quot;
says a Jedi to the young Anakin in Episode I, immediately before a pod
race in which Anakin is likely to get killed. It is distinctly odd
counsel coming from a member of the Jedi order, the geekiest people in
the universe: they have beards and ponytails, they dress in army
blankets, they are expert fighter pilots, they build their own laser
swords from scratch.<br />
And (as is made clear in the &quot;Clone Wars&quot; novels) the masses and the
elites both claim to admire them, but actually fear and loathe them
because they hate being dependent upon their powers.<br />
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/17/opinion/17stephenson.html<br />