Yeah, that's why I said they probably don't fit the category.

On a side note -- I'd be interested to see how many songs folks on the
list can dredge up which have religious references or themes that are
outside of the judeo-christian ethos ... Barring generic,
non-denominational themes (which are sort of assumed to be sung by
Christian artists in most cases) and barring (folk) hymns -- secular
music, so Hari-Krishna doesn't count. I'm looking for secular tunes
that mention things like Buddha, Apolo, Odin, Legbha, Anansi, Shiva,
Osiris, Tyr Na Nog (sp?), the Vedas or the Green Man. It occurs to me
that I can name more fo the Greeks than any of the other ethos, but I
don't want to put out a complete list here, just examples... Anansi is
a little known african spider god for instance. Avalon would be
acceptable in spite of the fact that Arthurian legends are very
Christian oriented because Avalon as I understand it was not a
Christian myth. (Muslim is sort of out of the equation just because
they place too many restrictions on their music for it to be popular.)
When I think about this I want to jump immediately to Cat Stevens
because he had an album titled Buddha and the Chocolate Box, but I
can't think of any actual song he recorded with the name Buddha in it.

A Cold Wind To Valhalla - Jethro Tull
Xanadu - don't know (don't care for it, but...)
the Rebel Jesus - Jackson Browne (I think -- see below I know he at
least calls himself a pagan)
Jesus - Cat Stevens (oddly enough -- see the second verse below)

They called him Gautama Buddha
Oh long time ago
He turned the world to order
Don't you know
He used to sit knowing
Oh long time ago
Where you and me were going
And in the evening his love will lead the blind

> Those are really using religious symbology as metaphor for
> other
> things though. Sort of like Holy Diver that I mentioned.

> But that's probably over analyzing it.

> On 7/7/05, S. Isaac Dealey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Oh, it occurs to me that there are religious references
>> in both Big
>> Time ("and I will kneel in a big church, as I pray to a
>> big god... and
>> my heaven will be a big heaven and I will walk through
>> the front
>> door") and In Your Eyes ("I see the doorway to a thousand
>> churches").
>> Neither of which likely fit the category...

s. isaac dealey   954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework