I'm not sure if Google's involvement is anything other than an investment
(companies do invest after all).  It doesn't seem to be like a mission
statement of any kind.

However from the little I've read about it I don't think this will be a
panacea... broadband over power lines has a lot of the same transmission
problems as DSL (the signal degrades over time and distance) which may make
it just another option for those close to central stations (who are
generally exactly those already serviced by DSL and/or cable).

Then again I'm not sure... but it's still data transmission over copper and
it would have to share some of the limitations of DSL in that respect if
nothing else.

Jim Davis