Sam wrote:

> The prisoners in Gitmo didn't honor the Geneva Convention so it does
> not apply to them.

Could you elaborate as to which part of the Geneva Conventions you are
referring to? I can not reconcile that statement with what I read in them.

Many of the people in Gitmo are to be considered PoWs under article 4a2 and 4a5
of the Third Geneva Convention. Any disagreement as to whether certain
detainees can claim to be PoW has to be resolved following the procedures under
article 5 of said convention. Until such proceedings have resolved the issue
the detainees are to be considered PoWs.
Proceedings under article 5 have not taken place so everybody claiming to be a
PoW is to be considered a PoW and to be treated as such.

Furthermore there are those in Gitmo who are labelled 'saboteurs'. Even if we
accept that label these people are still protected unther the Geneva
Conventions. Under article 5 of the Fourth Geneva Convention these people are
to be considered protected people that have lost their communication rights for
as long as required for the security detaining party. All other rights remain
intact, and one can hardly claim that it is still in the interest of US state
security not to permit these people the communication privileges normal PoWs
have.

If you feel I have missed something in my summary of the position of the Geneva
Conventions on the people detained in Gitma, please be specific as to which
articles of which convention you feel I have missed.

Jochem