They weren't the government though, and the conventions require the
combatants be in uniform and carrying an id card.

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry C. Lyons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 9:43 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: speaking of

Tim

What I was taught at the CFB Borden OCS was that the US was a
guarentor power. In other words this nation guarenteed the application
of all but the 1952 (the only ones the US has not signed) of the
Geneval Conventions. Also I think it can be argued since the Taliban
was the government in power at the time the soldiers fighting for them
cannot be considered illegal combatants.

larry