Personally (and I'm donning my flame-proof suit as we speak) I think it's a
waste of money.

You can pick up 40 Gig portable USB-powered hard drives (which are smaller
than the I Pod) for less than $80 now for plain storage.

As for music do you actually have enough to make the 60 Gig player worth it?
I've got what I thought was a lot and I've only got 25 gig of music/comedy
and perhaps another 9 Gig of Audio books.

(Actually, to be fair, all of this in Windows Media format which is on
average a little smaller than MP3 so it might grow quite a bit if
converted.)

Even if I needed all that space I would never consider keeping it all on a
single, non-mirrored device - so I'd still need that much space on a my
computer to "back up" the collection (although I also prefer to do all my
management there as well).

But in the end, although you can store other files and it does have a lot of
space you're just getting a (really nice) music player and a (pretty crappy,
small screened) photo viewer.

For the same price you could get a higher-end Pocket PC and a 5 Gig Compact
Flash hard drive.  You can't fit ALL of your music on it, but you can fit
several hundred albums.  Or (and this is the main point) fit a ton of music,
a ton of books, a ton of video and still have everything the platform
provides (document editing/reading, wireless internet, scheduling, games,
etc).

Right now I've got an older Pocket PC and a One Gig SD card in it.  This set
up would cost in the area of $200 or less today.  I've got about a dozen
albums on it, two movies ("Blue Brothers" and "Finding Nemo" if you must
know), the Audio book of the latest Harry Potter, in the range of 50 novels
(ebooks) and 10 years worth of USA Today crossword puzzles.

The only thing, in my opinion, that you buy with the IPod is more space -
and that space is at a _huge_ premium.

Jim Davis