I don't think you need to be so sarcastic. I do not think its called for.

As far as the police were concerned, was it an innocent reason. He
came from an apartment block they had under surveillence, he was
acting erratic and very suscpicious, he was wearing a unseasonably
heavy and concealing coat, and going towards the subway. There had
just been a set of horrid bombings and then another set of attempted
bombings. They did not have the luxury of sauntering up to him saying
"Excuse me sir, this is the police.could we search you for
explosives."

I can imagine what would have happened next if it had been a suicide
bomber - they would have been picking pieces of cops all over the
neighbourhood.

You are applying american values to a very different country. You need
to look at it through British eyes first then judge.