There are definitely bugs in the cascade model (especially in Netscape but
also in IE were tables are concerned) but you can do this.  It should be
cleaner, but it is doable without browser hacks (unlike column layouts).
;^)

You can specify styles to only apply to certain nested or named (ID'd)
elements effectively letting you apply your own cascade model.

Unfortunately these options aren't very well understood at all - it seems
like most people just don't know they exist and most tutorials I've seen pay
minimal lip service to them.

It's annoying because I think that they're fundamental to understanding how
CSS works.

Jim Davis