SStewart wrote:
> Because the shuttle burns primarily liquid oxygen as a fuel source
> isn't it essentially non polluting?

Burning is the reaction between an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent.
Usually we call the reducing agent the fuel and we neglect the oxidizing agent.
So the fuel source of the shuttle isn't liquid oxygen, it is liquid hydrogen.
And yes, the complete reaction between oxygen and hydrogen produces water which
is non-poluting. But since the reaction is never complete, you can bet there is
some ozone and hydrogen peroxide produced as well.

But that is only for the main engines. The solid state boosters are toxic as
hell and produce a very nasty exhaust plume.

Jochem