Its already happening. Uzbekistan (just north of Afghanistan) has
ordered the US military out of a major air base.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072902038.html

U.S. Evicted From Air Base In Uzbekistan

By Robin Wright and Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, July 30, 2005; A01

Uzbekistan formally evicted the United States yesterday from a
military base that has served as a hub for combat and humanitarian
missions to Afghanistan since shortly after the attacks of Sept. 11,
2001, Pentagon and State Department officials said yesterday.

In a highly unusual move, the notice of eviction from Karshi-Khanabad
air base, known as K2, was delivered by a courier from the Uzbek
Foreign Ministry to the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent, said a senior U.S.
administration official involved in Central Asia policy. The message
did not give a reason. Uzbekistan will give the United States 180 days
to move aircraft, personnel and equipment, U.S. officials said.

If Uzbekistan follows through, as Washington expects, the United
States will face several logistical problems for its operations in
Afghanistan. Scores of flights have used K2 monthly. It has been a
landing base to transfer humanitarian goods that then are taken by
road into northern Afghanistan, particularly to Mazar-e Sharif -- with
no alternative for a region difficult to reach in the winter. K2 is
also a refueling base with a runway long enough for large military
aircraft. The alternative is much costlier midair refueling.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld returned this week from Central
Asia, where he won assurances from Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan that the
United States can use their bases for operations in Afghanistan. U.S.
forces use Tajikistan for emergency landings and occasional refueling,
but it lacks good roads into Afghanistan. Kyrgyzstan does not border
Afghanistan.

"We always think ahead. We'll be fine," Rumsfeld said Sunday when
asked how the United States would cope with losing the base in
Uzbekistan.

In May, however, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman called access to the
airfield "undeniably critical in supporting our combat operations" and
humanitarian deliveries. The United States has paid $15 million to
Uzbek authorities for use of the airfield since 2001, he said.

Yesterday, Pentagon spokesman Lawrence T. Di Rita said that the U.S.
military does not depend on one base in any part of the world. "We'll
be able to conduct our operations as we need to, regardless of how
this turns out. It's a diplomatic issue at the moment," Di Rita said.

The eviction notice came four days before a senior State Department
official was to arrive in Tashkent for talks with the government of
President Islam Karimov. The relationship has been increasingly tense
since bloody protests in the province of Andijan in May, the worst
unrest since Uzbekistan gained independence from the Soviet Union.

Undersecretary of State R. Nicholas Burns was going to pressure
Tashkent to allow an international investigation into the Andijan
protests, which human rights groups and three U.S. senators who met
with eyewitnesses said killed about 500 people. Burns was also going
to warn the government, one of the most authoritarian in the Islamic
world, to open up politically -- or risk the kind of upheavals
witnessed recently in Ukraine, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan, U.S. officials
said.

Karimov has balked at an international probe. As U.S. pressure
mounted, he cut off U.S. night flights and some cargo flights, forcing
Washington to move search-and-rescue operations and some cargo flights
to Bagram air base in Afghanistan and Manas air base in Kyrgyzstan. As
relations soured, the Bush administration was preparing for a further
cutoff, U.S. officials said.

The United States was given the notice just hours after 439 Uzbek
political refugees were flown out of neighboring Kyrgyzstan -- over
Uzbek objections -- by the United Nations. The refugees fled after the
May unrest, which Uzbek officials charged was the work of terrorists.
The Bush administration had been pressuring Kyrgyzstan not to force
the refugees to return to Uzbekistan.

Uzbekistan has been widely viewed as an important test for the Bush
administration -- and whether the anti-terrorism efforts or promotion
of democracy takes priority. "We all knew basically that if we really
wanted to keep access to the base, the way to do it was to shut up
about democracy and turn a blind eye to the refugees," said the senior
official, on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive
diplomacy. "We could have saved the base if we had wanted."

After the latest setback in relations, the Bush administration is
going to "wait for a cooling-off period," the administration official
said. "We are assuming they mean it and want us out. We are now not
sending someone to Uzbekistan."

The next test will be whether to withhold as much as $22 million in
aid to Uzbekistan if it does not comply with provisions on political
and economic reforms it committed to undertake in a 2002 strategic
partnership agreement with Washington. Last year, the administration
withheld almost $11 million. U.S. officials expect the Uzbek
government will again be ineligible for funds.
(c) 2005 The Washington Post Company