> umm... okay... that's the first time I think I've heard a christ-myth
> story described that way. Phenomenon really wasn't an alien movie in
> any way other than the most superficial plot device... They needed an
> event to change an ordinary man's life. The rest of the film is an
> examination of human nature; specifically how we deal with a
> "messiah". It's not specifically a Christian or judeo-christian thing
> either... The way that people react to life is the same way they would
> react to a messiah, and vice versa, so by examining the messiah's
> social experiences you gain insight into human nature. It's what
> Einstein referred to as a "thought experiment". The subject of the
> film is an archetypal cycle actually: awareness - love - heroification
> (ignorance/denial) - dissilusion - crucifixion - love. Jesus wasn't
> the first and certainly wasn't the last of the stories about this
> archetype. Dune was also a christ-myth story, although I didn't care
> for Dune so much.

The movie considered doing what you perceived, but then changed directions
and decided to be a love story. They began exploring people's reactions to
his abilities, its affects and ramifications. Then they pulled a 180 and
discussed the CAUSE of the phenomen (completely unnecessary) and focused the
rest of the movie on the death scenario and it's affects on his new family.

Ergo....chick flick :)

Phenomenon is one of those films that I ended up feeling like the movie was
OK, but could have been SOOOOO much more.