Don't forget the cold wet rag after the solder is applied.

Quick cooling of the pipe and the solder ensures that it doesn't continue to
run down leaving too little solder on the bond.

  _____

From: Deanna Schneider [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 7:53 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: i am Plumber Putty

The real key to remember when you're soldering is that you're heating
the pipe, not the solder. The mistake that most people make is that
they put the flame on the solder, which melts it too quickly and
doesn't give you the bond that you need.

Basic steps.
Thoroughly clean the pipe fittings.
Apply flux.
Connect pipes.
Heat pipes with the inner tip of the flame (you'll see 2 points of the
flame - an outer one, and in inner one. The heat is where the inner
one is). Try to heat the entire way around the pipe.
Touch solder wire to pipe. It should melt mostly from the heat of the
pipe. If it doesn't, heat the pipe some more. It's okay to briefly
"lick" the solder with the flame - but you really want the pipe to do
the majority of the melting for you.