He is a communist thug in the mold of Castro, who is the worst sort of
communist thug- a dictator posing as a populist. It is no accident that Castro
is his hero and role model. Chavez constantly sings the praises of the Cuban
revolution and Castro's genius.

What has Chvez done? He has pushed the disintegration of private property
rights by encouraging poor people to squat on private farms and take over the
land. He has taken over the entire oil industry and has used the money to buy
off the poor.

BTW, there is no middle class in Venezuela. There are rich people and there are
poor people. That is partly at the root of why Chavez is now running things.
This same situation prevails all over Latin America, with disasterous results.
There isn't a first-world economy south of the U.S. Check out this link for
Latin American per capita GDP:

http://www.latin-focus.com/latinfocus/countries/latam/latgdppc.htm

Mexico is tops at $6500 per person, Venezuela is third at barely over $4000.
Compare that to $40000 per person in the U.S. To understand what ghettoizing
the country means, just look at this number five years from now. Even with
increases in oil revenues, per capita GDP will go down as Chavez slowly
destroys the Venezuelan economy.