Accept and except are often confused with one another because they are
homophones. Homophones are words that are pronounced alike but have
different spellings and meanings.

Accept is a verb. It is normally associated with the phrase "to
receive."

Ex: In a letter to Hollywood's Friar's Club, Groucho Marx said, "Please
accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have
me as a member."

Ex: The candidate's views were not widely accepted.

Note that in the above sentence "accepted" is used to mean "to agree
that something is right."

Except is most often used as a preposition. In this sense, it means
"with the exclusion of."

Ex: Mike brought everything on the camping trip except his kitchen sink.

Except is occasionally used as a verb. In this sense, it means "to leave
out."

Ex: It is unfair to except Susan from the graduation ceremony.