Dana --

You should definately at least attempt to recover your financial losses.
  I think you're right about talking to the owner, but I'd talk to the
manager as well.  If nothing else, she should know the ramifications of
her actions.  I wouldn't threaten to sue until I see if the manager is
willing to pay for the replacements up front.  If she does, you don't
get anything for the lost time, but you also don't have to spend *more*
time to go to court and whatnot.

--Ben